Welcome to Spring!
(But, seriously, was there really a prior winter?!?)
Very early Sunday morning (i.e., shortly after midnight on Saturday night), the vernal equinox will occur.
I have compiled two new wildflower field guides; you can view or download them here.
Here is a list of some spring activities to consider:
- Butterfly House at miSci (March 21-May 1 @ 11:00 AM)
miSci (museum of innovation and science), 15 Nott Terrace Heights, Schenectady NY
Escape cabin fever, and discover hundreds of brilliantly colored native butterflies at miSci’s new indoor butterfly house. Discover Monarchs, Black Swallowtails, Painted Ladies, Tiger Swallowtails and Spicebush Swallowtails flying about (and possibly landing on you!) as miSci re-creates their habitat – the edge of an open field with flowers and trees. Cost: $6.50 +
- Beginning Ornithology: An Introduction to the Science of Birds (March 23)
- 13th Annual Nature Art Exhibit (through March 26)
- Saratoga Sandplains Walk (March 26)
- Maple Sugar Open House at Five Rivers (March 26 @ 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM)
Five Rivers Environmental Education Center, 56 Game Farm Road, Delmar
Join us for an introduction to maple sugaring as you twirl a brace drill, pound a spile, inspect the sap flow in our sugarbush, enjoy the aroma of sap boiling down in our evaporator, take the maple taste test and select from a wide variety of maple products for sale.
- Maple Weekend at (April 2-3) –
- Kent’s Sugar House, 2529 Plank Road, Berlin, NY 12022
Come join us and learn the process of making maple syrup, from sap collection from the trees to boiling into the finished table product. At our sugarhouse, you will see our wood-fired evaporator with Steam-away in operation. We will have samples of syrup and our famous Maple Popcorn. In addition to syrup, we have maple cream, sugar and candy, as well as many other maple items for sale. Dress appropriately for the weather!
- Peaceful Valley Maple Farms, 116 LaGrange Road, Johnstown, NY 12095-4031
Demonstrations of all it takes to make syrup: tapping, tubing, collecting, reverse osmosis and boiling. We will have an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast.
- Conservation Through the Lives of Adirondack Loons (April 9)
- Family Frog Watches (April 13) (April 20)
- Spring Astronomy Party (April 15)
- Vischer Ferry Nature and Historic Preserve (April 17)
- Stewardship Hike (May 6)
- Wildflower Ramble (May 14)
- Waterford RiverSpark Canal Festival (May 14 @ 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM)
Join us for this annual event as we welcome new and returning vendors to line the banks of the Erie Canal. Enjoy live music, dance performances, children’s activities, kayaking, educational walks and presentations and more. Cost: FREE ADMISSION